Final preparations for this year’s Catch the Bus Week, the industry-backed Greener Journeys-led campaign, are being made.The campaign has issued a final ‘call to action’ for operators who have yet to become involved in the golden opportunity to promote bus travel.Designed to promote and raise awareness of the many benefits of travelling by bus, the campaign runs from 29 June to 5 July â€“ later than in previous years to avoid the general election run-up.The campaign’s key aim is to get people to switch one car journey to a bus during the week.In addition to encouraging modal shift, the campaign also aims to increase awareness of the benefits of bus travel in the UK in the process.Now in its third year, this annual event again provides bus operators, local councils, PTEs and other interested parties with a high-profile platform to showcase the hugely important role that buses and bus services play across the UK.Greener Journeys wants this year’s campaign to be even bigger than last year, creating a lasting shift in perceptions among those who don’t normally take the bus.There will be myriad ways to get involved: Running your own activities and promotions; promoting the week in your local area, online and in newsletters; running your own event or competition; and challenging people in your community to switch one car journey to a bus during the week.Says Greener Journeys: â€œThere are so many great reasons to travel by bus and we want to really showcase these through the week through a nationwide media campaign, combined with activities organised by local bus companies, local authorities, PTEs and passenger organisations among others.â€To get involved, e-mail [email protected]
After talks between Unite the Union and Ipswich Buses, the strike over pay planned for Monday (10 October) was cancelled.Unite regional officer Steve Linger said: “We have achieved an equitable settlement on the pay for the lower paid third of the drivers. As a result, Unite’s drivers at Ipswich Buses won’t be going ahead with Monday’s 24-hour strike and will be working normally.“We hope to continue to work in a constructive fashion with the management in the future for the benefit of the company, its workforce and the travelling public.”Jeremy Cooper, MD of Ipswich Buses, said: “We are pleased we have been able to avert this strike and that our customers will receive a normal service on Monday. Like Unite, we look forward to working constructively with them on any future issues.”
Stagecoach North East is starting a Sunderland-Newcastle X24 inter-urban express route from 30 January,The half-hourly service runs Monday-Saturdays from Fawcett Street in Sunderland City Centre to Pilgrim Street in Newcastle.At £2.80 adult single or £13.35 all week, the X24 is speedy and cheap. It uses newly-liveried buses with a striking and present an alternative to the Metro.Steve Walker, Managing Director, Stagecoach North East, said: “After listening to our customers, we are delighted to launch this new service to benefit passengers travelling between Sunderland and Newcastle.“The new X24 service represents a further investment from Stagecoach North East and demonstrates our commitment to delivering more choice, more value for money and more opportunities to travel whether business or pleasure.”To launch the new X24 service, the bus company is offering an introductory fare exclusive to passengers on the route, with a one week ticket for £5 from 30 January to 4 February and £10 from 6 February to 11 February.For onward journeys, X24 passengers in Newcastle can connect to the Metrocentre, Quorum Business Park, Colbalt Business Park and more.Further demonstrating its response to customer demand, earlier this month Stagecoach North East brought on board return fares for residents in the south of Sunderland, bringing cheaper journeys for passengers travelling within the city, on routes 12 and 13.The X24 launch follows the recent introduction contactless payment and m-ticketing technology, making bus travel a more attractive and stress-free option than commuting by car.Within the past year Stagecoach North East has also implemented integrated smart ticketing across the region as well as a brand new website and smartphone app which allow customers to receive real-time journey information.Stagecoach North East employs over 1400 people across the Sunderland, Hartlepool, Teesside, Newcastle and South Shields areas within the region.
Following last year’s popular event, the London Tourist Coach Operators Association (LTCOA) has announced details of its 2018 Open Evening.The event takes place on Monday 16 April at 1930hrs at the Hilton Garden Inn, Eastern Perimeter Road, Hatton Cross, London, TW6 2SQ.Guests include Wrightsure, the main sponsor of the LTCOA, together with YuTong, one of the most popular manufacturers of coaches.Royale European Coaches of Hounslow, who are sponsoring the evening, will have one of their latest Yutong Coaches on display.In addition there will be a chance for guests to hear about the LTCOA, the work that it undertakes on behalf of its members and its plans for the future. Refreshments and networking opportunities will also be a feature of the evening.Stephen Telling, Chairman of the LTCOA says: “Our Open Evening provides an opportunity for all coach operators who are either based in or regularly run into London to come and find out all about the LTCOA as well as having the opportunity to speak with one of the leading insurers of the coach industry and a popular manufacturer.“All operators are very welcome. Becoming a member is very easy and costs less than £1 a day.”Any operator who wishes to attend the LTCOA Open Evening is asked to contact Peter Bradley, the Director of Administration and Development at [email protected] for catering purposes.
There has been much publicity recently about the £2.25m invested by the Government in the infrastructure providing electricity to The Harrogate Bus Company’s eight zero-emission vehicles, but rather less about the £1.4m cut from North Yorkshire County Council’s public transport budget.While nobody has ever adequately explained how those who now have no bus service will benefit from those who have an electric one, and also how those who now have an electric one have actually benefitted, there’s another question that, despite my best and persistent efforts, remains unanswered: How is the electricity for the Harrogate scheme generated and, therefore, have overall carbon dioxide emissions actually been reduced?Alfred Crofts
A new addition to the Oldham-based Yelloway Coaches fleet is a Volvo B8R with 70-seat Leopard bodywork. It has been supplied by Plaxton (01909 551166).The 12.2m coach is finished in the operator’s famous yellow livery. It has a D8K engine mated to ZF’s EcoLife automatic gearbox.Says Yelloway Coaches MD Mark Brook: “The Leopard ticks all the boxes in terms of capacity, comfort and a proven track record. It also has a real street presence and helps us to make a statement about our business.“We are kept busy with corporate hires, excursions and contracts for schools and education authorities. All of those can be undertaken by the versatile Leopard. We’ve come a long way since the early 1900s, when our first tour departed.”
Philip Sellwood CBE, former Group Chief Executive of Energy Saving Trust and founder trustee of the Ellen Macarthur Foundation, has been named as the new Chair of the Low Carbon Vehicle Partnership (LowCVP).He brings experience from directorship roles in Renewable Energy Assurance and Tevva, organisations which carry out consumer protection activities and development of modular electrification systems for medium duty commercial vehicles, respectively. He was awarded CBE status in the 2020 New Year Honours for services to public energy policy.Philip has been an Advisory Board member of UK Energy Research Council since 2005 and brings experience of the local government sector having been a Non-Executive Director of the Local Government Improvement and Innovation Board for almost 10 years.His appointment comes during transition to a zero-carbon future in the road transport sector following the government commitment to net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. His tenure will see publication of a transport decarbonisation plan and confirmation of government commitment to phase out diesel and gasoline powered internal combustion engines by 2035 or sooner.LowCVP Managing Director Andy Eastlake says: “Philip has been a key board member of LowCVP since its inception in 2003, serving as Vice Chair for several years.“His experience and advice together with his wide-ranging links across the energy and related industries are going to be critically important as the barriers between sectors, such as electricity and transport, continue to break down.”Thanking outgoing Chair Darran Messem, he adds: “Darren’s six years as Chair of LowCVP have seen some of the most dramatic changes in the low carbon road transport agenda and in the ways the Partnership has operated.“His support to me and the team has helped keep LowCVP in the vanguard of this agenda and I’m pleased he will continue with us on the Board as we move towards net zero.”Philip believes coronavirus COVID-19 presents the UK an unparalleled opportunity to deliver sustainable recovery. ”It is a privilege to have been appointed as LowCVP’s new Chair,” he says. “I have previously seen for myself what a tough but important role this is.“I hope to help continue the work to assist the UK government, the automotive sector and the public to move towards a decarbonised transport future.”
Measures put in place by Chancellor Rishi Sunak to help protect jobs beyond the end of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) in October do not form a “viable proposition” to help coach tourism, it has been claimed.Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT) Chief Executive Graham Vidler told the House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee on 29 September that such has been the drop in coach tourism activity, the Job Support Scheme (JSS) – which will be introduced on 1 November – does not represent a suitable successor to CJRS for the sector.27,000 jobs at risk in coach tourism if no further support forthcomingOther aid is thus still urgently required if 27,000 jobs in the coach industry are not to be placed in jeopardy when CJRS ends, says Mr Vidler. CPT earlier said that in announcing JSS, Mr Sunak had “missed an opportunity” to further help the sector.“As we go into the winter, when traditionally there would not be much demand for coach tourism, there is unlikely to be sufficient demand in many businesses even to pay 55% [of an employee’s wages] for one third of their time,” Mr Vidler told the Committee.Under JSS, employees will work a minimum of 33% of their normal hours. That time will be paid by the employer as normal. Of the hours that are not worked, the government and the employer will then each pay a third, hence the minimum contribution of 55% of the employee’s normal wages by the employer if they are to participate in the scheme.Mr Vidler notes that while JSS may suit operators that predominantly undertake home-to-school services and have seen ‘infill’ work dry up, only 20% of the coach industry’s income comes via that channel. Tourism accounts for the bulk of the remainder.Government intervention on vehicle finance payments also neededMr Vidler repeated CPT’s earlier calls for government support for operators that will soon face the end of vehicle finance payment holidays. CPT wants to see the conversion of some of those loans to the same terms that govern the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBILS).“Where there are existing loans, rather than new loans, we have asked the government to support us in terms of underwriting a proportion of [the amount] and meeting the cost of interest payments for the next 12 months, until the industry is able to trade safely again,” he says.After changes were made to CBILS to overcome early reluctance among coach operators to utilise it, many CPT members have successfully applied. The overall success rate has been “pretty good” and CBILS has been “helpful” for the coach industry in general, adds Mr Vidler.Support based on investment in the future a possibility?In response to a question about further support for businesses that can demonstrate that they are investing in the future, Mr Vidler says that such a policy would be welcome. It is one that CPT would have “a lot of time for.”“It is important to recognise that many of the operators that find themselves with the heaviest burdens are those that have invested in the future already,” he says, in reference to ensuring compliance with PSVAR and the purchase of Euro VI coaches.However, CPT believes that any such support should also capture other operators who would commit to investing in the same areas later.
WhatsApp Facebook IndianaLocalNews Google+ Twitter Arrest Made in Shooting Death of South Bend Juvenile By Carl Stutsman – June 21, 2019 0 416 WhatsApp Google+ (Source: https://goo.gl/dMu9KF License: https://goo.gl/sZ7V7x) A 16-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with the fatal shooting.He actually turned himself into police at the St. Joseph County Metro Homicide building and was fully cooperative with investigators. The 16-year-old was taken to the St. Joseph County Juvenile Justice Center and arrested on preliminary suspicion of reckless homicide.17-year-old Darnell Tobar II died after being shot at a home on Woodhill Lane late Wednesday night. The shooting is believed to have occurred while the boys were recklessly handling a gun.You can read the full press release from St. Joseph County Prosecutors office below:St. Joseph County –Yesterday the St. Joseph County Metro Homicide Unit (CMHU)arrested a juvenile in connection with its investigation into the June 19, 2019, fatalshooting of 17 year old Darnell A. Tobar, II (100 block of Woodhill Ln, South Bend).The above-referenced male juvenile, who is 16 years old and from South Bend, turnedhimself in yesterday about 8:00 p.m. at the County Metro Homicide building (523 E.Jefferson, South Bend), and was very cooperative with investigators.The 16 year old was taken to the St. Joseph County Juvenile Justice Center and detained.He was arrested on preliminary suspicion of Reckless Homicide, which would be a Level5 Felony if committed by an adult.No petition alleging delinquency has been filed at the issuance of this release, and thearrest remains under review by the St. Joseph County Prosecutor’s Office.Based on the investigation, the shooting is believed to have occurred after the juveniles were recklessly handling a gun.Please be advised that this 16 year old is presumed innocent until and unless charged and adjudicated delinquent in a court of law. ~~ Pinterest Pinterest Twitter Facebook Previous articleCity of Warsaw considering system that sends text alerts to residentsNext articleAuthorities: Man steals from home, returns asking to rent it Carl Stutsman
By Tommie Lee – June 25, 2019 0 349 Pinterest Mishawaka man sentenced for dealing heroin Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Pinterest Facebook WhatsApp Twitter IndianaLocalNews Google+ (Photo supplied/St. Joseph County Jail) A Mishawaka man has been given an 84-month prison sentence for heroin dealing.Reginald Blackburn, 26, will have 5 years of supervised release after his sentence is served.Court records say Blackburn was one of a group of people selling heroin in the South Bend and Mishawaka area in 2017.He was involved with the group for about three months late in the year, but some of them were involved in the crime before he joined. Previous articleIndiana DCS sued over care it provides to childrenNext articleIndianapolis man sentenced for drug trafficking in South Bend Tommie Lee Google+