Often called the “Keeper of the Nuclear Conscience”, Rotblat was much criticized for “deserting” the atomic bomb project, yet he did so for fundamental reasons of personal conscience and fears that development of the “Gadget” would lead to a post-war nuclear arms race. In anticipation of next year’s 75th anniversary of the Trinity test and the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, every effort should be made, including by the Los Alamos Historical Society and our national labs, to investigate and publicize new verification and confidence-building measures, including the use of Artificial Intelligence as written about recently by LANL Director Thom Mason, that can aid in the effort to greatly reduce and eliminate the reliance on nuclear weapons as instruments of policy and war. By JEFFREY BOUTWELL, Ph.D.Los Alamos I had the privilege to give a talk on Nov. 12 to the Los Alamos Historical Society focusing on the Polish physicist Josef Rotblat and his decision to leave Los Alamos and end his participation in the Manhattan Project in December of 1944 when it became clear that Nazi Germany was nowhere close to acquiring atomic weapons. Seventy five years on, we remain dangerously mired in a world with 14,000 nuclear weapons and a growing number of nuclear weapons states.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Subscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.
Having spent the afternoon hearing how the British government is undermining the right to custodial legal advice by reducing lawyers’ fees, Clive Stafford Smith, director of Reprieve, took to the stage to cheer up delegates at the Law Society’s conference on legal advice at the police station last week. Stafford Smith began: ‘If you think it’s bad here, it’s worse in America’. He recounted tales of a defence lawyer who fell asleep during his client’s capital trial, another who got banged up because he was drunk – but that time in the cells was the only time he spoke to his client. He also told of a third-year law student representing a man on trial for his life, whose first words to the judge were: ‘Can I have a moment to compose myself – I’ve never been in a courtroom before.’ Stafford Smith went on to recount ridiculous US Supreme Court decisions. One determined that proving your innocence was not relevant to appealing a death sentence, so long as your trial was fair. Another upheld a custodial sentence for a man jailed for consensual oral sex with his wife in private. ‘This is the sort of insanity that goes on in the US,’ he said. But he also questioned some practices on this side of the pond. Why can’t we talk to jurors, he asked, and why does a defendant (who is supposedly presumed innocent) sit in a dock, rather than next to his lawyer? Then when it comes to cash, British criminal lawyers may think they’re paid badly, but it turns out they are positively well-heeled compared with their US colleagues. Stafford Smith said he once received $1,000 for a capital case which involved 680 lawyer hours, amounting to $1.47 an hour (92p). He sued under the federal minimum wage laws and won.
Subscribe now for unlimited access Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY
POLAND: The European Investment Bank announced on May 15 that it is increasing from €224m to €342m the value of a loan which PKP Intercity is using to fund the purchase of Alstom Pendolino trains. In May 2011 PKP Intercity and Alstom signed a €665m contract covering the supply of 20 seven-car 250 km/h trainsets and maintenance for 17 years at a depot to be built close to Warszawa Grochów station. The trainsets are scheduled to be deployed from December 2014 on services from Gdynia to Kraków and Katowice via Warszawa. Services to Gliwice via Katowice, Wrocław via Opole and Rzeszów via Tarnów are also planned. EIB is also providing a loan to support modernisation of the Warszawa – Gdynia line on which the Pendolinos will run.
The World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom reiterated the agency’s stance that smokers are more vulnerable than non-smokers to developing a severe case of COVID-19.The COVID-19 pandemic can provide an unanticipated motivation for smokers to quit the habit, the World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom said on Friday.Tedros made the remarks at a media briefing in Geneva, Switzerland, as WHO launched the Access Initiative for Quitting Tobacco, which aims to help the world’s 1.3 billion tobacco users quit during the pandemic.“Smoking kills eight million people a year, but if users need more motivation to kick the habit, the pandemic provides the right incentive,” said Tedros.The WHO chief reiterated the agency’s stance that smokers are more vulnerable than non-smokers to developing a severe case of COVID-19.The call to use the pandemic as an opportunity to quit smoking comes as the world’s COVID-19 infections surpassed 12.3 million with a death toll exceeding 556,000.As the world continues its fight against the disease, the WHO dispatched two experts to China to meet with fellow scientists and learn about the progress made in understanding the animal reservoir for COVID-19 and how the disease jumped between animals and humans.“This will help lay the ground work for the WHO-led international mission into the origins,” said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom.Adhanom once again reiterated his earlier calls for unity in the fight against the disease, saying it is “the best shot we have.”Related Somalia confirms 19 new COVID-19 cases WHO Chief calls for end to COVID-19 discrimination COVID-19 risks amplifying insecurity: UN Chief
Shamsubahrin mengatakan pelaku biasanya akan bertindak cepat dan dengan paksa, meninggalkan penumpang sebelum mereka memiliki kesempatan untuk mencari pertolongan. Asumsinya semakin dipertegas dengan pendapatnya yang mengatakan bahwa korban hanya memiliki kemungkinan untuk memenekan tombol SOS di bawah 30%, tepat pada waktunya. Lebih lanjut, Shamsubahrin mengatakan tombol SOS hanya bisa digunakan oleh penumpang yang merasa keselamatannya mulai terancam, entah karena pengemudi menempuh jalan pintas yang mencurigakan atau mengancam penumpang selama berkendara.Pria berambut plontos ini juga menghimbau kepada semua perusahaan layanan jasa transportasi berbasis aplikasi agar perusahaan tersebut lebih ketat dalam melakukan seleksi masuk bagi para pengemudinya. “Pastikan mereka tidak memiliki catatan kriminal atau masalah kesehatan,” tegasnya. Tentunya, dengan pemberlakuan serangkaian tes tersebut, akan melibatkan lebih banyak pihak, seperti Polisi, Departemen Transportasi, Badan Anti-Narkoba Nasional dan Dewan Kota.Baca Juga: Uber Punya Fitur Peringkat Untuk Pengguna dari Pengemudi“Kalau begitu sebaiknya SPAD (Land Public Transport Commission) memberikan persetujuan agar mereka bisa mulai beroperasi secepatnya,” tutur Shamsubahrin. Anjuran yang dilontarkan Shamsubahrain bukan tanpa alasan, mengingat dalam waktu satu bulan ke belakang telah terjadi serangkaian kejadian yang diduga sebagai tindak kriminal oleh pengemudi Uber dan Grab kepada para penumpangnya.Ambil contoh pada tanggal 11 Juni 2017 silam, dimana seorang wanita berusia 29 tahun diduga menjadi korban pemerkosaan yang dilakukan oleh seorang sopir Grab sekitar pukul 04.00 dini hari waktu setempat di Bandar Putra Permai, Seri Kembangan. Mundur beberapa hari, tepatnya pada 6 Juni 2017 seorang wanita paruh baya asal Vietnam mengaku dipaksa untuk menyentuh organ vital dari pengemudi Uber setelah ia menunjukkannya sepanjang perjalanan dari Penang, serta masih banyak lagi serangkaian kejadian yang mencoreng nama kedua jasa layanan transportasi berbasis aplikasi tersebut.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Like this:Like Loading… RelatedWanita Kerap Jadi Korban di Moda Transportasi Online? Ini Fitur Keselamatan yang Bisa Digunakan05/09/2019In “Basis Aplikasi”Mulai Sekarang, Pengemudi Moda Online Tidak Bisa Sembarangan Tarik Penumpang!17/11/2017In “Basis Aplikasi”Wajib Selfie, Jadi Syarat Naik Grab di Malaysia16/04/2019In “Basis Aplikasi” Shamsubahrin Ismail. Sumber: freemalaysiatoday.com Langkah Pemerintah Malaysia dalam mewajibkan perusahaan layanan transportasi berbasis aplikasi (online) seperti Uber dan Grab untuk menerapkan tombol SOS di aplikasi mereka dinilai tidak banyak membantu apabila dalam kondisi darurat, seperti korban mengalami kekerasan hingga kejahatan. Shamsubahrin Ismail selaku pendiri dari Big Blue Taxi Services mengatakan bahwa tindakan tersebut tidak menjamin keselamatan penumpang dari beragam tindak kriminal, karena biasanya kejadian seperti itu berlangsung dengan sangat cepat.Baca Juga: Banyak Kasus Pelecehan, Inikah Momen Taksi Online Perketat Penerimaan Pengemudi?“Langkah seperti ini hanya akan menjadi pencegah bagi para pengemudi untuk melakukan tindak kejahatan. Karena pada kenyataannya, para korban tidak akan terpikir untuk memencet tombol SOS ketika dalam keadaan darurat,” tuturnya sebagaimana KabarPenumpang.com wartakan dari freemalaysiatoday.com (18/6/2017).
The Gopher men’s basketball team lost 75-51 in the NIT title game to Stanford Thursday night at Madison Square Garden in New York. Minnesota trailed by 6 at halftime and were quickly down double figures early in the 2nd half. Rodney Williams led the Gophers with 12 points before fouling out. Joe Coleman and Austin Hollins each had 10 points and Andre Hollins scored just 4 points before fouling out for Minnesota.The Gophers shot just 37 percent from the field and committed 22 turnovers. The Gophers season ends with a 23-15 record. Minnesota loses just 1 senior from this year’s team, center Ralph Sampson III. 360p Auto (360p) 720p HD About Connatix V56892 1080p HD Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE Skip About Connatix V56892 1/1
QPR strikers Idrissa Sylla and Matt Smith are injury doubts ahead of tonight’s game at Barnsley.Smith has a foot injury and Sylla is nursing a knee problem. Both players will be assessed before the match at Oakwell.AdChoices广告However, Massimo Luongo looks likely to be involved, having missed Saturday’s draw at home to Burton because of illness.Rangers are without defenders Nedum Onuoha, Grant Hall and James Perch, but Joel Lynch and Steven Caulker are now available.Jordan Cousins returned to action in an Under-23 game on Monday and hopes to be ready for first-team selection soon. Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook See also:QPR v Burton player ratingsHolloway defends duo after QPR drawQPR boss sets points targetQPR’s Cousins returns to action