St. John Vianney St. John Vianney’s airtight defensive softball team plays for this time of year as it heads into tournament time. The Lancers, in search of a third straight Monmouth County Tournament title, won their opener, 4-1, over Middletown North on April 28 and play host to Manalapan in the next round on May 5 at a time to be determined. The Lancers are the top seed.In April, St. John Vianney also ran its Shore Conference A Central record to 8-0 with a 7-0 victory over Shore Regional.Along with playing Manalapan, it also plays its third Shore Conference A Central game at Holmdel at 2 p.m. May 5. Games around the state are scheduled later that day because of SATtests being taken in the morning.Carrying a 14-2 record into the home stretch of the season, St. John Vianney on May 1 plays at Rumson Fair-Haven and on May 3 plays host to Raritan in league games. Because Manalapan plays its league games on the other days of this week — Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays — St. John’s agreed to a late Saturday (May 5) game.Although it makes for a hectic Saturday again this weekend, coach Kim Lombardi feels it’s nothing her team can’t handle.“Many of these girls play on travel teams that sometimes play four games in a day, and if they can’t play two games in a Saturday, then I don’t know what they can do,” said Lombardi.The veteran coach said this year’s team “hasn’t peaked yet,” but feels this is a team that may be set aside on its defensive skills fromher past teams and the teams that the last two years reached five goals — winning county tournament finals and going on to win NJSIAA section and state titles, winning division titles and reaching the Shore Conference Tournament final where it lost two years ago to Red Bank Catholic. “Certain kids are starting to settle in.”But what sets this team apart from others in recent years is what Lombardi praises as “an incredibly solid defense, the best I’ve seen here” where eight starters return.“I agree 100 percent,” said senior catcher Kristen Solari, who is headed this fall to Johnson and Wales on a financial scholarship package. “We work hard in practice and it shows in games. We work well together.”“Our defense has always been strong and we have great coaches who prepare us for games,” said senior second baseman Cailin Winokur, who is headed to Fordham on a financial scholarship package. “Our defense is really strong this year, no weak spots.”Winokur feels her determined play has rubbed off on the younger players like sophomore shortstop Jackie Gallagher. “I’ve been working hard at it and took lessons,” Winokur said. “It’s up to me to start stepping up and make plays to show it can be done and then our shortstop starts picking up on that, too. I’m so proud of how the underclassmen are stepping up.”Veteran starter Kate Beriont, a left-handed sophomore with a 9-1 pitching record coming into this week, is joined by freshman Ashley Ventura, who raised her record to 5-1 with a no-hitter against Southern Regional. It was the third no-hitter thrown by St. John’s pitchers, with Beriont hurling the other two. Beriont held Middletown North to four hits in its county tournament opener. She hurled the county tournament and Shore Conference Tournament championship victories among her 13 wins on last season’s 29-1 team.They fill the void left by graduated pitcher Jen Retzer, who had 16 wins. She is at the University of Pennsylvania.Lombardi said her pitching so far has been “pretty good” and the hitting is solid, led by Solari’s .647 batting average. “I worked really hard on it in the off-season with mechanics and having a positive attitude,” Solari said.“She’s been hitting the ball the way she should and has been a leader,” Winokur said.And she is not alone in that regard.“Everyone hits .300, .400 and.500 in our batting order,” Lombardi said. That includes .500 hitters Winokur, who hits No. 2 in the lineup, and leadoff hitter Gallagher. Senior Taylor August at third base and freshman Erica Krumbine at first complete the infield. August has accepted a financial package from Fairfield University.Junior center fielder Amanda Durham, senior left fielder Zoe Otterman and sophomore right fielder Kate Baron start in the outfield with young backups Marlene Bevilacqua a sophomore, and freshman Breanna Keelan, who also supply speed on the offense as pinch runners. Freshman backup catcher Hannah Milano has had opportunities to play in some commanding victories.Durham powered the victory over Middletown North with two hits for two RBIs while Baron lined two doubles and Otterman drove in another run. True to form in the balanced offensive attack, Gallagher drove in two runs with three hits against Shore.“We’ve been coming out with a lot of heart and intensity,” Solari said.Winokur feels it will help in the tournament games.“I have so much faith in the team and we all pick each other up,” Winokur said. “We’re very together, which is different from a lot of teams.” BY WAYNE WITKOWSKI Correspondent Softball team is 14-2, top seed in MCT
– Advertisement –
Tweet your severe weather observations to #bcstorm. Be sure to include your location. B.C. South Peace River4:20 AM PDT Wednesday 13 March 2013Snowfall warning for B.C. South Peace River continued This is a warning that significant snowfall is expected in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..listen for updated statements. An Arctic front will push down into the Central British Columbia interior this morning and remain stationary this afternoon. A mild and moist southwesterly flow from the Pacific Ocean will clash with the Arctic front to produce heavy snowfall over the above mentioned regions. Snowfall amounts of 10 to 20 cm are forecast by Thursday morning. In the Prince George region, the highest snowfall amounts are expected near Vanderhoof tonight with lesser amounts at the City of Prince George. The snow will continue over these regions on Thursday. – Advertisement – 10 to 20 centimetres of snow expected by Thursday morning.
Ben Hamer 1 Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri is willing to allow Ben Hamer to leave on loan.The goalkeeper has struggled for appearances since arriving from Charlton in 2004 as Kasper Schmeichel has firmly established himself as first choice at the King Power.He joined Bristol City on a season-long loan in August but the deal was cut short in November after just five appearances for the Robins.Hamer has not even made the bench for Leicester since his return and Ranieri is now ready to sanction another loan exit.“I don’t know, for him it is important he goes to play. He needs to play,” said Ranieri.“He is a good goalkeeper. It is important that we are looking for him to help find him a new club.“A loan could be good.”
In a modern-day twist on a Wild West battle over land, a Los Angeles County plan for an 81-mile swath of the Santa Monica Mountains is set for a showdown with the Coastal Commission today. The plan bans construction in the most-sensitive habitats – including riparian areas along streams and canopied oak areas – and limits development in other significant woodlands, savannas and watersheds. But critics – including the commission’s staff – say the plan doesn’t go far enough to protect sensitive areas from overdevelopment. “The county would not conform to the Coastal Act requirement to protect (sage and chaparral environments),” said Peter Douglas, the commission’s executive director. “That’s a fundamental problem. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“They’re looking at a special treatment nobody else in the coastal zone is getting. There’s no legal basis for it.” The plan is the latest in a 20-year standoff between the county and commission since the 1976 Coastal Act required local governments to take responsibility for issuing permits in their coastal areas. Los Angeles County is the last major jurisdiction in the state not to have complied, meaning the commission still handles coastal development permits for the region. There are no sanctions for noncompliance, but the commission must approve the county’s plan to take over issuance of the permits. Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky said the latest plan should satisfy the commission because it offers tiered conservation areas that protect the most sensitive habitats. “It’s a plan that respects the natural topography of the Santa Monica Mountains,” Yaroslavsky said. “The philosophy of the plan is it lets the land dictate development, not the other way around.” But Douglas said the tiered approach – which would define about 6percent of the mountains as Environmentally Sensitive Habitat Areas – excludes vast amounts of coastal sage and chaparral from the Coastal Act’s definition. Douglas said the concern is that the region’s unique ecosystem would be at risk. “The bottom-line concern is preserving that fragile and limited habitat from overbuilding,” he said. Under special legislation, the commission’s staff drafted a “local coastal program” for Malibu, which classified coastal sage scrub and chaparral as environmentally sensitive areas. The commission approved the program five years ago over the city’s preference for a tiered approach. Commission staffers said the county plan should mesh with Malibu’s, which prohibits development in environmentally sensitive areas without a Coastal Development Permit and a public hearing. Malibu’s plan also limits most development to 10,000 square feet, with a one-acre development cap on a 107-acre parcel. The county’s plan would ban development in the fraction of land proposed as environmentally sensitive but would allow development of up to 10,000 square feet in “significant” woodlands, savannas and watersheds, and up to 15,000 square feet in designated watersheds. All would require environmental reviews and permits, and in some cases public hearings. Up to three acres’ development would be allowed for a rural inn, with a public hearing. But Yaroslavsky criticized the Malibu plan, saying it forces developers to go through an expensive exemption process to get a permit. And Yaroslavsky – who has criticized NBC Universal’s plans to move and expand at Universal Studios in Studio City as overdevelopment – brushed off criticism by the Coastal Commission staff. “If every shrub or chaparral is in an (environmentally sensitive area) you virtually make it impossible for anyone to develop – and that’s not constitutional,” he said. The county’s plan has the support of the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy, the Sierra Club and several homeowner groups, but it still has been criticized by Heal the Bay and others as too lenient. “There’s not enough protection in there,” said Mark Gold, president of the nonprofit Heal the Bay in Santa Monica. Specifically, he said the plan doesn’t provide adequate setbacks from trees lining streams. Jacky deHaviland, president of the Coalition for a Better LCP (Local Coastal Program), called the county’s plan insufficient and flawed. She said the recent wildfires underscore the dangers of allowing up to 24 horses on three-acre parcels, as well as up to 40-room inns on 40-acre parcels. Dave Brown, Sierra Club conservation chairman of the Santa Monica Mountains Task Force, said the plan does safeguard the most sensitive areas through setbacks and low density. “It protects a piece of scenic natural land that’s half an hour drive for most people in the Valley and an hour for everyone in the region.” The debate comes even as the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy is seeking concessions from the county to hold temporary events – such as weddings at King Gillette Ranch – without permits. Conservancy Executive Director Joe Edmiston said he expects the supervisors – in their deliberations over the mountains plan – to consider public access to property bought by taxpayers. “If someone wants a wedding, or an event that does not result in any new building impacts and uses the existing parking lot, to get a permit for that puts it on hold while there’s a six-week process,” he said. “There shouldn’t be a permit system that makes an impediment for its valid use.” Yaroslavsky said he hasn’t spoken to Edmiston on the matter and said he envisions “generic” permits that would limit particular uses at park facilities. Last week, the conservancy posted a letter online criticizing the county plan. But Edmiston said the letter was drafted by his staff and posted without his approval. The letter was later removed and another memo supporting the plan was posted. Edmiston said the county’s overall plan for the area is environmentally sound. “I’m not suggesting where there’s a wilderness park let’s put in a horse corral,” Edmiston said. “But there’s going to be some development. … If it encourages something other than mansionization, those are good uses.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
MONTEBELLO Residents fighting a proposed housing and retail project in south Montebello are honing in on what they say are numerous sinkholes around the site as one more reason why the city should scrap the proposed development. But officials for the city and Alhambra-based developer the Olson Co. say what residents are calling sinkholes are probably just gaps in the ground from previous structures built and later demolished at the site in and around Bluff Road and Washington Boulevard. Residents are battling the city over its plans for 60 new homes and 7,600 square feet of retail space at Bluff and Washington, less than 200 yards from their homes. The residents, who have formed the Montebello Action, Justice and Information Committee (MAJIC), are worried mostly that the new development will clog their streets with traffic. The sinkholes issue and concerns over increased traffic prompted Veloz to hire a lawyer and to start a petition drive to halt the development. “If these sinkholes are happening on both sides of the street, they’re probably happening underneath the street, too,” said Veloz, 57. “And this is on earthquake-prone ground. (The city) is afraid to do an EIR (Environmental Impact Report) because it will shut the project down.” But Michael Huntley, Montebello’s director of planning, said soil samples taken by a company hired by the Olson Co. found no cause for concern. “The soil analysis indicated there were no adverse conditions for building on the site,” Huntley said. “Five bore holes were drilled into the soil there, each one 51.5 feet deep and they found no unstable soil or anticipated liquifaction,” he added. “After the last rains there was some undermining of the soil. Some sloughing off always occurs after a rain. But the Army Corps of Engineers and Los Angeles County have joint power over the bluff-side of the road. The city has tried to work with the Corps to fix it over time.”165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhy these photogenic dumplings are popping up in Los Angeles But MAJIC leader Ed Veloz said he also fears the proposed development could pose serious dangers on what he says is unstable ground that is prone to sinkholes. “They’re putting people’s lives at risk,” he said. Veloz’s home on Bluff is opposite the Rio Hondo channel. He believes erosion of the bluff along the flood control channel has shrunk the amount of ground on the river side of the street as chunks of earth slip off the bluff, he said. The result is that big holes tend to form along the road next to the bluff, he said. Last week, city work crews filled with gravel a hole across the street from Veloz’s home that was nearly 6 feet deep.
Chelsea have been criticised for their business in the summer transfer window 1 Chelsea manager Antonio Conte admitted he does not get the final say on which players the club sign.The Italian coach spoke ahead of the imminent winter window in which he is thought to want to make a few changes to his squad.He revealed, however, that the Chelsea board will decide which players are bought or sold in January, rather than him.The Blues boss said: “As you know very well, I stay here to work. I’m a coach.“For the transfer market, there is the club. You have to ask the club.“I can give my opinion to my club, but the last word is with the club.“I have to respect every decision of the club. This must be very clear.”
Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury no dice Liverpool took the advantage in the first leg of their Champions League clash with Porto.Naby Keita and Roberto Firmino scored first half goals to give the Reds a 2-0 win at Anfield and a big advantage in the quarter-final tie. REPLY BEST OF Roberto Firmino was involved in Liverpool’s first and second goal Mane thought he had scored the third just after half-time but VAR upheld the assistant referee’s decision to flag him offside and from that point Liverpool lost their way somewhat as Porto, who have now not won in any of their 20 visits to England, decided to make a game of it.Mohamed Salah was perhaps lucky to stay on the pitch with five minutes to go when it was judged his studs up challenge was not worthy of a red card. Berahino hits back at b******t Johnson criticism – ‘I was in a dark place at Stoke’ REVEALED Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card Liverpool take a two goal advantage into the second leg Referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz consulted VAR but decided not to award a spot-kick against Liverpool and the score remained 2-0.Moussa Marega squandered two chances for Porto, the first Alisson saving with his legs, and could have put a different complexion on the game. It proved to be their best opportunities of the match.Shortly after, Keita’s searching pass picked out the charging Henderson only for Firmino to blaze over. Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move The Liverpool defender had got down the right and behind the Porto defence to reach a Jordan Henderson pass.Alexander-Arnold squared the ball and Firmino had the simple job of rolling it over the line.Liverpool survived a penalty appeal shortly after as Alisson Becker diverted the ball on to the arm of Alexander-Arnold. Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won huge blow LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions 3 Liverpool scored the opening goal after four minutes as Keita hit a shot from the edge of the area which took a deflection on its way into the goal.Keita, who opened his Liverpool account in the 3-1 win at Southampton on Friday, took a pass from Roberto Firmino who had latched on to a low cross from Sadio Mane.Firmino made it 2-0 after 26 minutes when he rolled the ball in from a low cross by Trent Alexander-Arnold. Liverpool celebrate scoring their second shining 3 ADVICE 3 Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars REVEALED